Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West, from Fat Shark Games, is done, finally! Can it live up to the hype? Was there any hype? Who cares. Let’s start shootin’ pardner.
Lead and Gold is an online multiplayer, team-based, third-person shooter (whew that’s a mouthful). Each match has a specific goal and it’s not all about killing the other team. Several types of matches include stealing gold (and killing the other team), protecting the gold (and killing the other team), blowing up or defending objectives (and killing the other team). Hmmm, maybe it is all about killing the other team.
In the game you get to choose from one of four classes - Gunslinger (run and gun type), Trapper (long-range sniper type), Deputy (medium to long range rifle), and Boomstick-wielding, dynamite-throwing miner, Blaster, the up close and person type.
Each of the four classes radiates a particular unique synergy bonus: Accuracy, Critical, Damage and Armor. They also have their own special attacks and items like the Trapper has a bear trap which can stop an enemy long enough to get a bead on a headshot, etc.
There are six modes in all:
- Conquest - 6 maps, Control strategic points
- Robbery - 2 maps, one team defends gold, the other tries to steal it.
- Powderkeg - 2 maps, one team defends, the other uses powderkegs to blow up objectives.
- Shootout - 6 maps, team deathmatch.
- Greed - 5 maps - Both teams are out to get the gold.
- Gold fever (coop) - This is like a survival mode for 1-2 players. You’ve got one map and you have to survive wave after wave of enemies. Plus, you have to grab the gold and haul it home.
Some of the maps have multiple modes so it’s not 22 maps total.
While the graphics aren’t awe-inspiringly real, neither is the premise even though it’s rooted in history. But it’s fine as the graphics are good enough to not be distracting from the game. Although, the faces of the characters are sort of creepy in their sort of frozen expressions. The graphics certainly add to the atmosphere and enjoyment of the game. They fall in-between Battlefield Heroes and Counter-Strike I would say.